Adem Kassie Abebe supports constitution-building processes and design around the world. Specifically, he provides the substantive lead in International IDEA’s support to the federalisation (and constitution making) process in South Sudan. He also manages ConstitutionNet, an online platform providing continuous updates on comparative constitutional reform processes around the world. He is the editor of the Voices from the Field, a series in which local experts provide analysis and updates on the process, content and principal actors in ongoing constitutional reform proposals.
He is a member of the Advisory Board of the International Journal of Constitutional Law (I.CON) and Executive Committee of the African Network of Constitutional Lawyers (ANCL). In addition to his extensive publications, Abebe regularly publishes opinion pieces in prominent platforms including Al Jazeera and The Conversation and has appeared as commentator on The BBC World News. He has also delivered lectures at Universities in The Netherlands, Belgium, Ethiopia, and Germany, and is invited to participate in high level conferences. He has served as assistant professor in the postgraduate studies programme of the Faculty of Law of the University of Addis Ababa.
Abebe was a Senior Research Fellow at the Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law. Abebe has been recognized as an Extraordinary Lecturer at the University of Pretoria. He was also granted a Research Fellowship at the University of Cambridge (UK), Centre of Governance and Human Rights (2011) and at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (2012). He has since 2015 been recognized as a Fellow of the Centre for Jurisprudence and Constitutional Studies at Kabarak University in Kenya.
- Ivorian president might be sorely tempted to seek a third term. Why he mustn’t, The Conversation, 21 July 2020
- The threat of intraethnic strife in Ethiopia, Al Jazeera, 4 November 2019
- What Ethiopians can learn from Sidama's thorny statehood journey , Al Jazeera, 18 September 2019
- What Ethiopia needs is an independent prosecution , Al Jazeera, 22 July 2019
- It's time for the African Union to put a stop to 'third-termism' , Al Jazeera, 9 July 2019
- Sudan: a chance for the AU to refine support for countries in crisis , The Conversation, (republished) 10 June 2019
- Popular protests pose a conundrum for the AU’s opposition to coups , The Conversation, (republished) 8 May 2019
- Establishing confidence in the judiciary: Why Meaza Ashenafi should lead a process of judicial vetting , Addis Standard, 7 November 2018