To promote trust in electoral processes and outcomes, it is essential to build the independence, capacity and resilience of election institutions. The multi-pronged nature of threats to elections also required the broadening of alliances and coordination with the wider democratic community.
International IDEA’s Electoral Processes workstream supports the protection and strengthening of elections. Key areas of focus:
- the quality of legal and institutional frameworks relating to elections;
- the capacity of electoral institutions to implement their mandates;
- the inclusivity of electoral processes;
- the ability of civil society, democracy defenders, and the media to ensure the accountability of electoral institutions and the integrity of electoral processes; and
- the tools and practices of electoral assistance.
Through a range of publications, training resources, and assessment tools, as well as workshops and wider advocacy, International IDEA articulates good electoral practices and distills regulatory and policy options.