Sam van der Staak's work focuses on responding to democratic developments in Europe, with a special emphasis on the topics of political parties, money in politics, and ICT in democracy. Van der Staak manages International IDEA's Europe Programme, which includes both country programmes and the Office to the European Union.
van der Staak’s work also focuses on negotiating and managing financial resources with donor agencies. He is International IDEA’s point of contact with the European Union in Brussels. Sam has been involved in International IDEA publications on citizen movements, money in politics, and political party dialogue. He makes regular media contributions for national and international media. Prior to his involvement in democracy assistance, van der Staak worked in the Netherlands' House of Representatives.
Engage with Sam van der Staak on Twitter at @samvanderstaak.
- What populists get right, Politico (Europe Edition), 25 June 2018
- Don’t believe the hype. The Dutch election will be a vote for business as usual., The Washington Post (DemocracyPost),14 March 2017
- Active citizenship and political movements in Europe, Hurriyet Daily News, 31 October 2016
- Active Citizenship & Political Movements in Europe: The Evolution of Political Representation, Turkish Policy Quarterly, 23 September 2016
- Nederlandse partijen worden steeds hipper, De Volkskrant, 20 September 2016
- Swedish politics not immune to grassroots movements, The Local, 13 September 2016