The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) and the Arab Network for Democratic Elections (ANDE) will hod the launch of the “The State of Democracy in North Africa and the Middle East , Aspirations for democracy halted by Covid-19” on 20 April 2022 in Beirut, Lebanon.
This event aims to discuss the findings of the State of Democracy 2021 related to North Africa and the Middle East, and a session will be dedicated to discussing Lebanon’s state of democracy.
08:30-09:00 - Registration of participants
09:00-09:30 - Opening Session. Welcome remarks
- Kevin Casas-Zamora, Secretary-General, International IDEA
- Roba Sharamo, Regional Director, Africa and West Asia, International IDEA
- Khameyel Fenniche, Head of Programme, North Africa and West Asia , International IDEA
- Ziad Abdel Samad, General Coordinator, Arab Network for Democratic Elections
09:30-09:40 - Session 1: Presentation of International IDEA’s 2021 Global State of Democracy Report and Indices
The Middle East and North Africa Findings, International IDEA
- Zaid Al-Ali, Constitutional-Building Programme, North Africa and West Asia, International IDEA
9:40-10:30 - Session 2: Challenges and opportunities for the democracy in North Africa and West Asia
Moderator: Zahra Bazzi, Programme Director, Arab NGO Network for Development (ANND)
Decline of democratic trends in North Africa and West Asia
- Joseph Bahout, Director, Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs, American University of Beirut
Challenges facing clean elections in North Africa and West Asia
- Hisham Kuhail, Executive Director of the Central Committee of Elections-Palestine- Head of the Executive Board of the Arab Electoral Management Bodies Organization
Civil Society in the North Africa and West Asia in building democratic societies
- Rahaf Abu Shahin, Expert in Democracy and Elections - Arab Network for Democratic Elections
10:30-10:45 - Break
10:45-12:30 - Session 3: Weaknesses and strengths of the Lebanese democracy
Moderator: Emna Zghonda, Electoral Process Programme, North Africa and West Asia, International IDEA
Managing elections in the Lebanese challenging context
- Ziyad Baroud, Former Lebanese Ministry of Interior.
Role of the Civil society and institutions in Lebanon: complementarity or competitiveness?
- Rony Assad, Secretary-General, Lebanese Association for Democratic Elections
Political representativity in Lebanon: Inclusiveness or division?
- Rudaina Baalbaki Researcher and Program Coordinator, Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs, American University of Beirut
12:30-13:00 - Closing remarks