Join us on 26 November for a seminar on Election Assistance!
The international community of Election Assistance (EA) practitioners has over decades built norms and principles for the support to free and fair elections. When properly applied, these principles contribute to more effective election processes. A new EBA study, ”Supporting Elections Effectively: Principles and Practice of Electoral Assistance”, has mapped these principles, and systematically assembled the wider knowledge gained by this community of practitioners.
Given the ongoing wave of autocratization, however, there is an urgent need to update the principles. The influence of new technologies, the role of money in politics, deliberate undermining of elections and other challenges need to be dealt with. Revitalised arenas for knowledge exchange and for renewal of EA principles are called for.
Hear from leading experts and practitioners.
When: 26 November, 14.00–15.30
Speakers and discussants:
- Therese Pearce Laanela, Head of Electoral Processes, International IDEA
- Thomas Carothers, Harvey V. Fineberg Chair for Democracy Studies & Senior V P for Studies, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Staffan Smedby, Head, Unit for Democracy and Human Rights, Sida
Moderator: Helena Lindholm, Professor of Peace and Development & EBA Chair
- Introduction, Helena Lindholm
- Presentation, Therese Pearce Laanela and Sead Alihodzic
- Panel discussion, Thomas Carothers, Staffan Smedby and Therese Pearce Laanela
- Final words, Helena Lindholm
- End of seminar
Choose how to participate:
1. Register for on-site, in-person attendance
2 Register for online attendance
3. Watch the live broadcast on YouTube.
To more details, visit the Expertgruppen för biståndsanalys (EBA) event page.