The Second Digital Democracy Dialogue (3D2) will be held on 16-17 November 2021 at the Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic in Montreux. It will be avowedly multi-stakeholder, based on an understanding that to truly place digital technology at the service of democracy requires an inclusive and cooperative approach, with the involvement and collaboration of states, technology companies, civil society, election officials, academics and independent experts.
The meeting will be held in-person for Geneva-based diplomats, UN officials, technology company representatives and civil society representatives. Notwithstanding, a limited number of experts from elsewhere in Europe will also be flown in to participate in person. Participants from outside Europe (especially, the Americas, Africa, and Asia) will engage remotely—either through recorded video messages or through live online participation.
As well as providing information and reflections on the current situation, 3D2 and its outcome document (expected to be a short summary of the meeting, including key case studies presented) will propose possible State and private sector commitments to be announced during December’s Summit for Democracy. Reflections, good practices, lessons learned, and future commitment gathered at 3D2 may also form a useful contribution to other international meetings on democracy and human rights, as appropriate. The report will respect the Chatham House rule under which the meeting will be held, though case studies of relevant government or private sector initiatives will be fully referenced—with the agreement of those involved in the initiative.
The opening High-Level opening panel will be chaired by Jenny PIAGET, Head, Human Rights Policy Section, Human Security Division, Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, Switzerland.
• H.E. Uzra ZEYA, US Undersecretary of State for Civilian Security, Democracy and Human Rights (video message)
• H.E. Michelle BACHELET, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (video message)
• Dr Michael O'FLAHERTY, Director, European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights
• Dr Kevin CASAS-ZAMORA, Secretary-General, International IDEA
• Dr Ahmed SHAHEED, UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, and President of the Governing Board, Universal Rights Group
• Miranda SISSONS, Director of Human Rights, Facebook Inc.