Cybersecurity in Elections Round table
On 13 -14 June 2017, International IDEA is hosting a round table discussion on Cybersecurity in Elections. The event, taking place in The Hague, will provide electoral management bodies (EMBs), cybersecurity agencies and experts from across Europe and the United States an opportunity to exchange experiences related to recent concerns about an increase in hacking attacks against elections.
The discussion will focus on, amongst other things:
- An overview of the ICTs used by the EMB and the most critical elections processes that need to be protected.
- Safeguards and fallback mechanisms that have or will be put in place to prevent or detect cyberthreats.
- The perception of cyber threats: to what extent are they real, to what extent hyped and/or politicized?
- The Impact of the current cyber security discussion on the EMB, citizen’s trust and plans for the future use of ICTs in elections.
- Communicating risks and counter measures to the public and stakeholders.
- Cyberrisks impacting the electoral stakeholders including political parties, candidates, media/social media, citizens and any role the EMB may have in mitigating these.
International IDEA is looking forward to welcoming participants from Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Germany, The Netherlands, Sweden, United Kingdom, Ukraine and the United States.