Maria Jaraquemada is a Programme Officer for Chile and Southern Cone of Latin Ameria, based in Santiago, Chile.
Maria joined International IDEA on 1 April 2021. Her main responsabilities are to collaborate in the constitutional process in Chile and in electoral politics and democratic strengthening in Chile and the countries of the southern cone.
María has worked in civil society organizations in public policies related to transparency, strengthening of democracy, anti-corruption, elections, among others. She was the Advocacy and Research Director at Ciudadanía Inteligente from 2014 to 2015 and the Advocacy Director at Espacio Público (2015-2021), where she coordinated the Anti-corruption Observatory, the Latinomerican Anti-corruption Network as well as promoted the adoption of public policies on political parties, political financing, among others.
She has also worked at the Transparency Council in Chile, implementing the Transparency Act and at the Ministry General Secretariat of the Presidency, where she collaborated in the drafting and processing at the Congress of the Lobby Act and a bill on political parties.
Books and articles:
- 'Chile: Regulation of lobby, Lobbyists, Governments and Public Trust, Volume 3', co-authored with Sebastián Soto in the OECD publication.
- 'Regulación del lobby en Chile', Publication shared with Sebastián Soto Velasco, in 'Hemiciclo, Revista de Estudios Parlamentarios', No. 9, Second Semester of 2013, Academia Parlamentaria de la Cámara de Diputados.
- 'The Aid Transparency Toolkit', Co-authored with Helen Darbishire, published in October 2009 by Access Info Europe.
- 'Análisis de implementación de las nuevas reglas de financiamiento a la política y campañas electorales', Co-authored with Eduardo Engel, Nicolás Campos and Damián Vergara, October 2018.
- 'Breve historia de una Ley de Lobby' in Perfeccionamientos a la Ley de Lobby, Centro de Estudios Internacionales UC and Consejo para la Transparencia, Santiago, Chile, April 2019.
- 'Reformas Anticorrupción en Chile (2015-2017): Cómo se hizo para mejorar la democracia', Co-authored with Manuel Arís and Eduardo Engel, Santiago, Chile, August 2019.
- 'Regulaciones y estándares internacionales de prevención de conflictos de intereses', Co-authored with Manuel Arís, Decemeber 2019.
Follow Maria @Twitter: @majaraquemada