Training, Education and Research in Electoral Administration
Training, education, and research are important investments for running successful and trustworthy elections. Training promotes professionalism within the electoral management body (EMB) and ensures the smooth conduct of polling. Voter and civic education ensure that citizens know and use their political rights. Research and lessons-learned exercises contribute to innovation and adaptation.
This report was first published on 3 June 2021 and is updated regularly. The objective of the report is to promote the sharing of knowledge, experience, and good practice on training and education in electoral administration as per the New Delhi Statement on Electoral Capacity Development (July 2017).
Please contact International IDEA via firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Publications and analysis on training, education and Research in electoral administration
International IDEA has developed a series of country case studies to better understand the dynamics of opening and operating electoral training and education facilities in different environments. Each case study takes a similar approach by focusing on the facility's beginnings, first years of operations, and years of development and expansion. The case studies are aimed at policymakers and practitioners involved in EMB design, focusing on operational training, professional development, voter and civic education, and research.
Case Study 1 - Electoral Training and Education: The Case of IIIDEM in India (27 May 2021)
Case Study 2 - Electoral Training and Education: The Case of the Electoral Institute in Nigeria (27 May 2021)
Case Study 3 - Electoral Training and Education: The Case of the Centre for Continuous Electoral Training in Moldova (27 May 2021)
Cast Study 4 - Electoral Training and Education: The Case of the Information and Electoral Education Unit, ONPE Peru (27 May 2021)
Case Study 5 - National Training and Education Unit - Australian Electoral Commission (16 June 2021)
Case Study 6 - National Electoral Education Centre - Australian Electoral Commission (16 June 2021)
Handbook - The Development of Professional Electoral Management, Chapter 6 in Electoral Management Design, Revised Edition (20 December 2014)
Electoral capacity development: The New Delhi Statement (3 October 2017)
Peer to Peer Podcast Series
Dashboard on Electoral Training, Education and Research Facilities
Expand the dashboard for full-screen view of the interactive map.
International IDEA's news on Elections and Professional Development
- BRIDGE Strategic Planning Workshop for PIANZEA Electoral Officials (28 May 2021)
- Supporting Excellence in Elections (28 January 2021)
- Practitioners Perspective on Financing of Elections (24 January 2020)
- What diplomats need to know about democracy and elections (14 January 2020)
- Welcoming Remarks to Regional BRIDGE workshop on Financing of Elections (24 September 2019)
- Timor Leste Host Regional BRIDGE Workshop on Financing Elections (27 September 2019)
- BRIDGE releases update Media and Elections module (29 August 2018)
- India joins the BRIDGE family (15 December 2017)
- BRIDGE workshop in Paraguay on gender, strategic planning and equal access to the electoral cycle (22 November 2017)
- BRIDGE Voter and Civic Education module launched (19 December 2017)
- Electoral processes: an investment, not a cost (1 December 2017)
- Building Resources in Democracy, Governance and Elections (BRIDGE)
- Online Master Programme, Electoral Policy and Administration (MEPA)
- Extended Learning Opportunities, ACE Electoral Knowledge Network
- Recruitment and Training of Voting Station Staff, ACE Electoral Knowledge Network
- Electoral Management Network
To cite this report: International IDEA, Asplund, E. (editor), Training, Education and Research in Electoral Administration, 16 July 2021