Electoral Management Design Database
Model of electoral management
6. Appointment of Returning Officer
(1) The Minister shall appoint a Returning Officer for each electoral district.
(2) The Returning Officer for each electoral district may, and the Returning Officer for the electoral district of Niutao shall in respect of Niulakita, appoint one or more fit and proper persons to be Assistant Returning Officers who shall, subject to the directions of the Returning Officer, have all the powers and functions of the Returning Officer.
7. Minister’s notice of election
(1) Whenever an election for a member or members of Parliament becomes necessary, the Minister shall issue a notice of election which notice shall specify —
(a) the electoral district for which the election is to be held;
(b) the number of vacant seats in each electoral district;
(c) the name of the Returning Officer for each electoral district;
(d) a day by which the nominations of candidates for election are to be delivered, which day shall not be earlier than 7 days from the date of the notice and shall not be earlier than the date specified under section 8(d);
(e) the places and times at which nomination papers shall be delivered to a Returning Officer of any electoral district; and
(f) a day on which the poll is to be taken in the event of the election being contested, which day shall not be earlier than 21 days from the date of the notice.
(2) Notice of election as aforesaid shall be published in every electoral district.
Electoral Management BodiesAdd data
|Name of EMB
|Number of EMB members
|Term of office
|EMB members selected by
|Chair appointed/elected by
|Party or expert based membership
|The Minister and Returning Officers for each district