Sam van der Staak's work focuses on responding to democratic developments in Europe, with a special emphasis on the topics of political parties, money in politics, and ICTs. Van der Staak also manages International IDEA's Wider Europe team.
Van der Staak’s previous work experience includes supporting political parties, electoral commissions and other state institutions in countries such as Georgia and Kenya. He has been involved in International IDEA publications on citizen movements, money in politics, and political party dialogue. He makes regular media contributions in the form of Op-Eds and commentaries for national and international media. Prior to his involvement in democracy assistance, Van der Staak worked in the Netherlands's House of Representatives.
- Don’t believe the hype. The Dutch election will be a vote for business as usual., The Washington Post (DemocracyPost),14 March 2017
- Active citizenship and political movements in Europe, Hurriyet Daily News, 31 October 2016
- Active Citizenship & Political Movements in Europe: The Evolution of Political Representation, Turkish Policy Quarterly, 23 September 2016
- Nederlandse partijen worden steeds hipper, De Volkskrant, 20 September 2016
- Swedish politics not immune to grassroots movements, The Local, 13 September 2016