Inspired by its work on electoral risk management, democracy resilience, and conduct of elections during emergencies and crises, International IDEA will develop an Integrated Framework for Protecting Elections that promote the use of risk management, resilience-building, and crisis management methods. While these concepts are indispensable in many sectors that face high risks, the original research conducted by International IDEA confirms that they remain mostly unexplored in the field of democracy and electoral assistance.
The project has two main objectives namely 1) to develop a set of gender-sensitive global public goods, including a guide for practitioners, an assessment tool, a training curriculum and toolbox, that can inspire, enable and empower Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs) and other stakeholders in protecting the integrity of electoral processes; and 2) to improve the capacity and practices of EMBs and other stakeholders in countries that test, pilot, and use the framework to protect electoral integrity in the face of various risks and crises.
This landing page includes information and materials on the protecting elections project which started in January 2023 and is expected to be finalized in December 2025. The page was first published on 09 May 2023 and will be updated on a regular basis. The project is supported by the Government of Canada.
- The Electoral Integrity Project (EIP) Spring Newsletter 2023 included an article on the Protecting Elections project launch as well as some key take-aways from the Expert Group Meeting (see below).
- An Expert Group Meeting was held 14-15 March 2023 and attended by 26 experts from EMBs, international organizations and academia, including International IDEA experts. Experts’ input strengthened and validated the project’s key concepts and implementation steps. Also, experts benefited by expanding their knowledge of challenges, policies and practices for protecting elections in different contexts. See more information in the event report.
- International IDEA to Develop an Integrated Framework for Protecting Elections (Press Release, April 2023)
- Canada refers to the Protecting Elections project as it announces over $50 million in funding during second Summit for Democracy, (29 March 2023)
- PM Justin Trudeau refers to Canada's support to International IDEA as he speaks at Summit for Democracy 2023 (YouTube, 29 March 2023)
Related International IDEA Analysis, Publications and News
- The Electoral Tribunal of Panama held a spokespersons and crisis management workshop with the support of International IDEA. The workshop participants discussed methods and strategies of electoral crisis management with great relevance to the Protecting Elections project (May 2023)
- Elections in Emergencies and Crisis – book launched in the Swiss Parliament | International IDEA (May 2023)
- Elections during emergencies and crises - Lessons for Electoral Integrity from the Covid-19 Pandemic (May 2023)
- The Information Environment around Elections – A Knowledge and Resource Hub on Protecting Elections in the Online Space (February 2023)
- Insuring elections: A paradigm for protecting electoral integrity (Commentary, 06 Sep 2022)
- Wildfires, Hurricanes, Floods and Earthquakes: How Elections are Impacted by Natural Hazards (News Article, 1 September 2022)
- Electoral Processes: Navigating and Emerging from Crisis (Thematic Paper, 2021)
- The Global State of Democracy Report 2021 – Building Resilience in a Pandemic Era (Report, 2021)
- Protecting Elections – A Integrated Framework (News Article, 25 October 2021)
- Risk Management in Elections (Guide,1 July 2021)
- Cybersecurity and Elections (Guide, 19 July 2019)
- Global State of Democracy: Exploring Democracy’s Resilience (Report, 8 November 2017)
- Democracy and Resilience Conceptual Approaches and Considerations (Background Paper, 2017)
For additional information about the project please contact International IDEA via: email@example.com