The Secretary-General of International IDEA, Kevin Casas-Zamora, will participate in the OECD Global Forum & Public Governance Ministerial Meeting: Building Trust and Reinforcing Democracy on Thursday, 17-18 November 2022. The event will be held in a hybrid format, with online and in-person sessions at the European Convention Centre Luxembourg (ECCL), 4 Place de l'Europe, Luxembourg.
The Global Forum will allow participants to collectively explore an action-oriented agenda to rebuild trust in public institutions and discuss the key public governance challenges to democracy. Building on the work under the OECD’s Reinforcing Democracy Initiative, discussions will focus on how to:
- Combat mis- and dis-information
- Improve representation, participation, and openness in public life
- Transform public governance for digital democracy
- Gear up government to deliver on climate and other environmental challenges
- Embrace the global responsibilities of government and build resilience to foreign influence
SPECIFIC SESSIONS 17 November
Parallel session 3: I Citizen, Digital Democracy / 13:45-14:35h CEST
The accelerated digital transformation of governments, economies and societies bears important implications for the functioning of democracy. Reinforcing and renewing democracy in the digital age is a multifaceted and complex issue, which calls for exploring the critical opportunities that digitalisation provides for democratic participation and representation, as well as government transparency, responsiveness, and accountability while mitigating the risk presented by digital tools to democracy.
- Kevin Casas-Zamora, Secretary-General, International IDEA
- Paul Maassen, Chief, Country Support, Open Government Partnership
- Hendrik Nahr, EU Public Affairs Manager, Make.org
- Mário Campolargo, Secretary of State for Digitalisation and Administrative Modernisation, Portugal
Session 5: Priorities for reinforcing democracy / 16:50-17:40h CEST
The Global Forum will conclude with a Global High-Level Dialogue sharing its reflections on the main challenges affecting the democratic model of governance globally, and the opportunities and policy levers available to reinforce it and make it fit for purpose in the 21st century. Insights from this Dialogue will be reported to the OECD Ministerial Meeting on Reinforcing Democracy.
Speaker: Kevin Casas-Zamora, Secretary-General, International IDEA