Join us from 23 September to 24 September 2021 online or in-person for the 2021 Global Forum, Latin America and the Caribbean organized by FUNGLODE and International IDEA.
The pace of the evolution of humanity brings with it a set of challenges derived from the constant changes that our societies face. In such a context, as centers of studies, research and thoughts, we feel highly committed to encouraging the creation of ideas and promoting new practices that allow the societies of our region to be more inclusive, with greater access to information and the generation of knowledge.
The main objective of this initiative is to promote a space for debate and offer a pluralistic platform for the exchange of ideas, discussion and analysis of the current role of Latin America and the Caribbean on the world stage, as well as its implications and challenges.
The continuous process of integration in Latin America and the Caribbean and the growing role of the region as a commercial, political and strategic partner in the current world order, are issues of special relevance to be discussed.
This initiative aims to bring together the thought leaders dedicated to the study of the dynamics of the region, to dialogue and formulate proposals that contribute to development with equity.
09:30 - 10:00 - Welcoming remarks and methodology
10:00 - 11:30 - Panel 1: Global perspective: challenges and opportunities in an uncertain environment
11:30 - 12:30 - Lunch break
12:30 - 14:00 - Panel 2: The pandemic and its economic and social repercussions in Latin America
14:00 - 15:30 - Panel 3: Electoral rally, political cycle and democracy in Latin America
09:30 - 11:00 - Panel 4: Solidarity and regional cooperation
11:00 - 11:30 - Coffee break
11:30 - 13:00 - Panel 5: Current fiscal challenges in Latin America
13:00 - 14:00 - Lunch break
14:00 - 15:30 - Panel 6: Looking toward the region’s future in a global context
15:30 - 16:00 - Concluding remarks
- Alicia Bárcena, Executive Secretary, Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)
- Daniel Titelman, Director, Economic Development Division, United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)
- Daniel Zovatto, Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean at the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA)
- Gerver Torres, Research Consultant for the Gallup Company and Senior Associate for the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
- José Antonio Ocampo, Co-President of the Initiative for Policy Dialogue (IPD) and Member of the Committee on Global Thought at Columbia University
- Kevin Casas-Zamora, Former Second Vice-president of Costa Rica; Secretary-General, International IDEA
- Laura Chinchilla, Former President of Costa Rica; Vice-president of the World Leadership Alliance - Club de Madrid
- Leonel Fernández, Former President of the Dominican Republic, President of Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (GFDD) and Fundación Global Democracia y Desarrollo (Funglode)
- Luis Almagro, Secretary-General , Organization of American States (OAS)
- María Victoria Murillo, Director of the Institute of Latin American Studies (ILAS), Professor of Political Sciences and International Affairs, Columbia University
- Mario Báez, Chief, Policy and Oversight Coordination Service, Office of the Under-Secretary-General for Management, Department of Management, United Nations
- Massimo Tommasoli, Permanent Observer for International IDEA to the United Nations
Individuals noted on any UN sanctions list (United Nations Security Council Consolidated List) or European Union sanctions list are not allowed to participate in any International IDEA events.