Gender Quotas Database

Country Data

EXPLORE QUOTA DATA    

 

Djibouti (Republic of Djibouti)

Djibouti (Republic of Djibouti) has a Unicameral parliament with legislated quotas for the single/lower house. 17 of 65 (26%) seats in the Assemblée nationale / National Assembly are held by women.

At a glance

Structure of Parliament: Unicameral

Are there legislated quotas...

  • For the Single/Lower House? Yes
  • For the Sub-National Level? No

Are there voluntary quotas...

  • Adopted by political parties? No

Is there additional information?...

  • Yes

Last updated: May 8, 2019

Single/Lower House

Assemblée nationale / National Assembly

Total seats 65
Total Women 17
% Women 26%
Election Year 2018
Electoral System MMP
Quota Type Reserved seats
Election details IDEA Voter Turnout - IPU Parline
  Legal source Details
Quota type: Reserved seats Constitution  
Electoral law

The quota of women that are elected to the National Assembly is fixed at no less than 25 per cent.

The proportion of either male or female candidates on the lists of candidates submitted by political parties and/or political party groupings must be 25 per cent of the number of seats to be filled. If not the list will be inadmissible.  (Article 1, Law no. 219/AN/18/7ème L)

Legal sanctions for non-compliance Electoral law

The proportion of either male or female candidates on the lists of candidates submitted by political parties and/or political party groupings must be 25 per cent of the number of seats to be filled. If not the list will be inadmissible.  (Article 1, Law no. 219/AN/18/7ème L)

Rank order/placement rules Electoral law  
Is the provision of direct public funding to political parties related to gender equality among candidates? No  
See more in International IDEA's Political Finance database
Are there provisions for other financial advantages to encourage gender equality in political parties? No  
See more in International IDEA's Political Finance database

Additional Information

In 2018, a new quota law (Loi n° 219/AN/18/7ème L) was adopted, amending law (No. 192) that provided the requirement for party lists to include at least 10 % of either sex and the rule of at  least 10 % of either sex in senior public positions. The 2018 law provides that at least 25 % of the members of the National Assembly should be women, and also provides that political parties should have at least 25 % of either sex on their candidate lists. The new law does not provide any placement rules.

Since the 2012 amendments to the electoral law, political parties have presented closed candidate lists in multi-member constituencies. The party that receives the majority of votes cast gains 80 per cent of the seats in the National Assembly. The remaining 20 per cent of the seats are allocated to parties that obtained at least 10 per cent of the votes cast. If no party receives more than 10 per cent of the votes cast, the remaining 20 per cent of the parliamentary seats are allocated to the first party.

The 2002 quota law (192) was implemented for the first time during the legislative elections held in January 2003. Although the opposition parties initially displayed a negative attitude towards women’s inclusion in the candidate lists, they eventually complied with the gender quota requirements, out of fear that their lists would be rejected by the electoral authorities (Youssouf 2007:30). The application of the gender quota provision resulted in the election of seven women (10.8% of the total number of seats) for the first time in the history of Djibouti.

Sources

LEGAL SOURCES:

 

OTHER SOURCES:

Additional reading

Africa | Global

Know about useful additional reading for Djibouti? Tell us!

Comments

 

Do you have news concerning gender quotas for promoting
the equal participation and representation of women and men?
Please send them to us so that we can keep the information on this site up to date.

 

Contact Us