Botswana (Republic of Botswana) has a Unicameral parliament with the use of voluntary party quotas. 6 of 63 (10%) seats in the National Assembly are held by women.
At a glance
Structure of Parliament: Unicameral
Are there legislated quotas...
- For the Single/Lower House? No
- For the Sub-National Level? No
Are there voluntary quotas...
- Adopted by political parties? Yes
Is there additional information?...
Last updated: Apr 16, 2019
Voluntary Political Party Quotas*
|Party||Official name||Details, Quota provisions|
|Botswana Congress Party||[BCP]||In 1999 the Botswana Congress Party introduced a 30 percent quota for women on electoral lists. The party has not always met this target. However, in the 2010 national congress elections the party managed to reach the 30 percent target.|
|Botswana National Front||[BNF]||In 1999 the Botswana National Front introduced a 30 percent quota for women on electoral lists. The party has not always met this target.|
* Only political parties represented in parliament are included. When a country has legislated quotas in place, only political parties that have voluntary quotas that exceed the percentage/number of the national quota legislation are presented in this table.
- Frankson, J.R. (ed). 2001. The First Step: Getting in the Door, New York: WEDO.
- Kethusegile, B. et al. 2000. Beyond Inequalities: Women in Southern Africa. Harare: SARDC.
- Lowe-Morna, C. 2000. ‘Strategies for Increasing Women's Participation in Politics.’Paper presented to the Fifth Meeting of Commonwealth Ministers Responsible for Women's Affairs.
- Mashingaidze, D. 1999. ‘A Quota System for Women?’ WomanPlus6. No. 3: 20.
- Somolekae, G. 1998. The Various Systems of Party Primary Elections in Botswana. Paper presented to the National Conference on Women Preparing to Stand for the Primaries in Botswana, Botswana.
- Inter-Parliamentary Union. 1997. Democracy Still in the Making: A World Comparative Study, Geneva: Inter-Parliamentary Union.
- Botswana Parliament website, http://www.gov.bw/government/the_parliament.html