Ukraine (Ukraine) has a Unicameral parliament with legislated quotas at the sub-national level. 86 of 423 (20%) seats in the Verkhovna Rada / Parliament are held by women.
At a glance
Structure of Parliament: Unicameral
Are there legislated quotas...
- For the Single/Lower House? No
- For the Sub-National Level? Yes
Are there voluntary quotas...
- Adopted by political parties? No
Is there additional information?...
Last updated: May 31, 2022
Quota at the Sub-National Level
- Quota type: Legislated Candidate Quotas
|Quota type: Legislated Candidate Quotas||Electoral law||
The new Election Law for Local Elections of Ukraine, adopted in 2015, requires parties to ensure nomination of at least 30 % of candidates of each sex in their candidate lists (Law of Ukraine About local elections, Art. 4.3).
|Legal sanctions for non-compliance|
|Rank order/placement rules||No data available|
"The Local Election Law (of 2015) introduced a gender quota, whereby representation of either sex on the candidate list under the proportional system must be no less than 30%. However, the legal framework failed to provide any sanctions for failure to comply with the quota requirement. On September 23, 2015, the CEC announced that failure to adhere to the gender quota does not constitute grounds for rejection of the party list by the TEC in charge of candidate registration. Although the CEC resolution was challenged in court, the court upheld the CEC decision. In the end, while some political parties did ensure that women made up 30% their party list candidates, most ignored the gender quota provision. According to the Committee of Voters of Ukraine, women, on average, received 18% of seats on city councils of the regional centers and 15% of seats on oblast councils in the local elections." (IFES: 2015: 4)
- Council of Europe Office in Ukraine, 2021, 'Council of Europe Head of Office in Ukraine: quotas have improved the situation of women's political representation in Ukraine', Link
- Ukrainian Women Congress, 2020, Ukrainian local elections: Do gender quotas work?, Ukrainian Women Congress
- Sokolova, H. 2020, Open Democracy, How Ukraine’s gender quotas work in practice