Gender Quotas Database

Country Data



Turkey (Republic of Turkey)

Turkey (Republic of Turkey) has a Unicameral parliament with the use of voluntary party quotas. 101 of 580 (17%) seats in the Türkiye Büyük Millet Meclisi (T.B.M.M) / Grand National Assembly of Türkiye are held by women.

At a glance

Structure of Parliament: Unicameral

Are there legislated quotas...

  • For the Single/Lower House? No
  • For the Sub-National Level? No

Are there voluntary quotas...

  • Adopted by political parties? Yes

Is there additional information?...

  • Yes

Last updated: Feb 28, 2023

Single/Lower House

Türkiye Büyük Millet Meclisi (T.B.M.M) / Grand National Assembly of Türkiye

Total seats 580
Total Women 101
% Women 17%
Election Year 2018
Electoral System List PR
Quota Type No legislated
Election details IDEA Voter Turnout - IPU Parline

Voluntary Political Party Quotas*

Party Official name Details, Quota provisions
People´s Democracy Party Halklarin Demokratik Partisi [HDP] The People's Democracy Party (HDP) has a gender quota of 50%. "We’re nominating woman candidates from the first spots for each and every local assembly elections across Turkey. We’re enacting the 'zipper system'. As a result, HDP has nominated 39 woman co-chairs for the 39 provinces of Istanbul and a total of 333 women to run for local assemblies." (HDP Official Website). 
Good Party İYİ Parti [İYİ] In the Central Disciplinary Board and the Provincial Disciplinary Board Member elections, at least twenty -five percent gender quota shall be applied, including original and substitute memberships.
Republican People's Party Cumhuriyet Halk Partisi [CHP] Article 56(1) of the party statutes states, "Thirty -three percent (33%) gender quota shall be applied in the candidacy of the deputy, provincial council and municipal council to be determined through the central polls, in the election of the party councils, in the election of the provincial and district board, and in the elections of the provincial congress delegates and congress delegates."

* Only political parties represented in parliament are included. When a country has legislated quotas in place, only political parties that have voluntary quotas that exceed the percentage/number of the national quota legislation are presented in this table.

Additional Information

In 1999 the Republican People’s Party (CHP) adopted a twenty five percent (25%) quota for its candidate list and its internal structures, with the exception of the party’s highest decision making organ called “Party Central Executive Committee”. In March 2012, CHP increased the quota to thirty three percent (33%) and also applied the quota to its candidate lists for the national and the sub-national elections. However, these voluntary candidate quotas concern only 15% of the total number of candidates on the candidate list which are chosen by the party’s central committee and not the entire lists. The rest 85% of candidates on the list is filled through primary elections held in districts.

Historically the first political party which adopted voluntarily gender quotas back in 1994 was a small socialist party called Birleşik Sosyalist Parti (United Socialist Party) which became the Özgürlük ve Demokrasi Partisi (ÖDP, Freedom and Democracy Party) in 1996.


Legal Sources

Other Sources



Additional reading

  • See the latest updates on Türkiye on iKNOW Politics
  • Yildirim, K. & Kocapinar, G. (2019) Untangling the gender gap: nomination and representativeness in Turkish local elections, Turkish Studies, 20:2, 222-248, DOI: 10.1080/14683849.2018.1553621
  • Bektas, E., & Issever-Ekinci, E. (2019). Who Represents Women in Turkey? An Analysis of Gender Difference in Private Bill Sponsorship in the 2011–15 Turkish Parliament. Politics & Gender, 15(4), 851-881. doi:10.1017/S1743923X18000363

Additional reading

Asia | Global

Know about useful additional reading for Turkey? Tell us!



Do you have news concerning gender quotas for promoting
the equal participation and representation of women and men?
Please send them to us so that we can keep the information on this site up to date.


Contact Us

Disclaimer: Maps presented do not imply on the part of the Institute any judgement on the legal status of any territory or the endorsement of such boundaries, nor does the placement or size of any country or territory reflect the political view of International IDEA. Maps are used in order to add visual clarity to data.