Ethiopia (Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia) has a Bicameral parliament with the use of voluntary party quotas. 212 of 547 (39%) seats in the Yehizb Tewokayoch Mekir Bete / House of Peoples' Representatives are held by women.
At a glance
Structure of Parliament: Bicameral
Are there legislated quotas...
- For the Single/Lower House? No
- For the Upper House?
- For the Sub-National Level? No
Are there voluntary quotas...
- Adopted by political parties? Yes
Is there additional information?...
Last updated: Oct 29, 2018
Voluntary Political Party Quotas*
|Party||Official name||Details, Quota provisions|
|Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front||[EPRDF]||In 2004, Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front has a 30 percent party quota.|
* Only political parties represented in parliament are included. When a country has legislated quotas in place, only political parties that have voluntary quotas that exceed the percentage/number of the national quota legislation are presented in this table.
M. A. Mohamed Salih, Political Parties in Africa: Challenges for sustained multipleparty democracy, International IDEA 2007
- Ethiopian Parliament website, http://ethiopar.net/