Election Coverage from a Gender Perspective. A Media Monitoring Manual
Order Printed Copy
Free of charge
Co‑publisher: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
Co-authors: Beatriz Llanos, Juana Nina
Other language versions:
This manual presents a methodological tool for monitoring media coverage during election campaigns. It focuses on a gender perspective using objective and verifiable information, and is based on experiences of six Latin American institutions.
- Why monitor the media in electoral campaigns from a gender perspective?
- What are the objectives and characteristics of a study such as this?
- Duration of the monitoring
- Preliminary steps: forming the monitoring team and guidelines for its work
- Which media outlets will be monitored? Defining the sample
- What and how? Initial steps for understanding the methodology
- Data collection and analysis: data sheet, definitions and procedures
- The final report: cross-referencing the variables and presenting the results
- Conclusion: some considerations for disseminating the results
Annex 1. Data sheet for collecting information: print media
Annex 2. Data sheet for collecting information: television
Annex 3. Data sheet for collecting information: radio
We would like to know, for example:
- how you found out about this publication,
- what parts of this publication that you found useful,
- how this publication has been used in your work and
- any improvements or additions you would like to see in future editions of this